Umag in Istria is the first city you will reach when approaching Istria from western Europe. Umag conquers with its allure, diversity and richness of the tourist offer. Umag is a town of around 13,000 inhabitants which with about 45 km of the coastline and interesting hinterland integrates special features of the whole region and might be the best introduction into a different experience of the Mediterranean.
The hinterland of Umag
reveals beautiful hills with fortifications that offer us magnificent scenery and marvellous history, abundance of autochthonous agricultural specialties and friendly hosts.
Sea in Umag is crystal clear and suitable for swimming from May till October.
What’s most important is that tourism
has significantly developed in the last several years so the destination has many new top quality accommodation facilities on offer (three or four stars), luxurious as well as family oriented hotels, villas, suites or ecology campsites. These are all designed according to the intrinsic spirit of nature and “Mediterranean as is used to be”.
What to do in Umag
- Umag town walls, with gated draw bridge, dating from 10th century
- Church of St Roche from 16th century, with oil-painted ceiling
- Umag Town Museum with exhibitions of ancient pottery and crafts
- Exhibitions in Umag's galleries, such as popular Gallery Marin in City Walls
- Badi Seafood Restaurant, located in Lovrecica near Umag, which offers great seafood dishes
- Buscina Restaurant offers domestic Istrian cuisine including meat and fish.
- Vila Viola is an exclusive Mediterranean restaurant, famous for its meat and fish specialities and is located in nearby town of Savudria, which is part of Umag municipality.
- Fancy a something quick and simple? Umag's waterfront has plenty of small bistros, pizza places, caffe bars, cake shops and ice cream parlours for a quick bite or for a leisure coffee & cake whilst watching the world pass by
- ...or check our directory for the contact details and addresses of over 20 restaurants in Umag
Shop in ...
- There are four supermarkets in Umag, with the largest being Plodine located at the entrance of Umag as you reach it from Novigrad. There are also numerous smaller groceries and food shops around the town - you won't go hungry!
- Main street of Umag is full of souvenir shops, which offer local produce, art and craft such as local pottery, paintings, wooden crafts and more
- If you like shopping for clothes, Umag has many boutiques offering designer and stylish clothes
- Being in region popular for biking adventures, Umag has a few specialist biking shops with good offer of biking gear for cyclists
- Local produce such as olive oil and locally produced wine can be bought in speciality shops or on stands on the Umag's market
- Forgot the swimming costume? Need a beach towel? Or you need some snorkleing gear? Don't worry, beach gear and accessories can be bought in many shops in Umag including open air market
- Best Umag's hotels, such as five star Hotel Melia Coral and Kempinski Hotel Adriatic
- Small family or butique hotels with their intimate atmosphere
- Umag's campsites - in mobile homes or on camping pitches, and enjoy closeness of the beach in natural surroundings
- Umag's Apartment resorts with their luxury villas and apartments, perfect for a family holiday
- or try Umag's private accommodation in self-contained apartments and rooms that are usually part of the private houses
Nightlife in Umag...
- Visit the oldest lighthouse on the Adriatic located in the nearby town of Savudrija
- Numerous bike trails invite visitors to explore Umag's surroundings in the best possible way!
- Try day trip boat excursions to nearby beaches or take a day trip to Venice in Italy on fast hovercraft
- Fancy something different? See our suggestions for holidays in Istria off the beaten track.
- Or why not rent a scooter or quad and explore the region at your leisure!
The best time to visit Umag...
Throughout the year! Umag has something for every season. From winter festivals, carnivals, wellness days in winter, early spring to gastronomic events or well known sporting events such as Tennis ATP in Umag in July - you will never be bored in Umag. Find out what is happening this year on Umag's events page, read our articles on local curiosities and festivities or check our accommodation section to find the best place to stay. Travelling now? See Umag weather forecast and find out more on climate by month. Our Umag's directory will help you find tourist agency, bank, shop, restaurant and other places you may need during your stay. We hope our website will help you plan your perfect Umag's holidays!