In order to make your cycling adventure on the more crowded parts of Istrian trails pleasant, we advise you to get to know the safety rules in force in the Republic of Croatia.
Avoid a fine by following these pieces of advice:
- Cyclists should ride on the cycling track or cycling lane, and if there are none, as close as possible to the right edge of the road
- If 2 or more cyclists ride in a group, they must ride one behind the other
- A cyclist must not reduce the stability of a bicycle and disturb other traffic participants. They especially must not remove both hands off of the handlebars at the same time, hold on to another vehicle, and transport, pull or push objects that could endanger the riding or other traffic participants
- Cyclists younger than 16 must wear a protective helmet while riding on the road. The fine for each of the above offences is HRK 300.00
Rules of conduct while driving on the roads:
Since an increasing number of cycling fans tend to choose Istria as their holiday destination, the number of cyclists on our roads has multiplied in the last 10 years, and that requires a higher level of responsible conduct while riding along the cycling trails with the objective of greater safety and avoiding uncalled accidents.
- cyclists are obliged to move along the cycling trail or the cycling lane, and if those do not exist, as close to the right edge of the pavement as possible
- if two or more cyclists, moped or motorcycle drivers are moving in a group, they are obliged to move one behind another
- a driver will be fined HRK 300.00 if he or she acts contrary to the provisions of this Article
- a cyclists, moped and motorcycle driver must handle the vehicle in a way which does not minimize the vehicle's stability and which does not disturb other participants in the traffic, and he or she must be particularly careful not to take both hands off of the steering wheel at the same time, to hang on to another vehicle, to transport, pull or push any objects which might interfere with him or her handling the vehicle or pose a threat to other participants in the traffic
- a driver will be fined HRK 300.00 if he or she acts contrary to the provision of this Article
- a moped or motorcycle driver and the persons riding in those vehicles must, during the ride, wear a protective helmet on their head. Cyclists under the age of 16 also must wear a protective helmet on their head during the ride along the road
- a motorcycle or moped driver and a person who is being driven will be fined HRK 700.00 if he or she is not wearing a protective helmet during a ride along the road
- a cyclists will be fined HRK 300.00 if he or she is not wearing a protective helmet during a ride along the road
- The bases described are not exclusive. To summarize, be good to yourself and the others and you will have a nice time.
We wish you a safe ride!