Run along the beach or on natural paths in the interior of northwestern Istria, choose a race based on your fitness level and treat your body and your soul to a much needed vacation at any time of the year. Welcome to the destination where running is a way of life!
The beautiful landscape, ideal climate conditions, excellent infrastructure and special programmes that cater to runners of all fitness levels, the northwestern Istria is increasingly becoming the number one choice for passionate runners. With its diverse paths both professional runners and those that enjoy running for pure recreation are improving their fitness, discovering new terrain and are pushing their own limits.
Different terrain for different types of running shoes
In northwestern Istria every path is a new challenge. Distance running is best trained on a flat route that combines asphalt and macadam along the seaside from Umag to the Savudria lighthouse and back (a total of 21 km). The highest road elevations (up to 220 m) await you in the woodsy tourist resort of Kanegra, while the most attractive route for trail running on macadam and forest paths are located in the surrounding area of Brtonigla, Buje and Grožnjan with the highest point at 300 m. If you prefer miles of macadam and the peaceful sounds of nature, you are bound to fall in love with the historical Parenzana route that twists and turns throughout the area.
Umag Night Run – the only night race in Umag!
If you find yourself in northwestern Istria in June, make sure to sign up for the only race in Umag held under the stars – the Umag Night Run. This 5km and 10km race is held along the coast with the start and finish line at the same place, right next to the beautiful ATP arena at Stella Maris Resort. There are also 200m and 500m kids’ races held as a part of Umag Night Run. All runners will receive a rich race package and are invited to participate at a pasta party with tons of great music. The special charm of this race lies in its starry atmosphere, loads of positive energy and loud support from numerous volunteers along the course. Many tourists have run their first 5km race right here, so we hereby invite you to become one of our night owl runners!
Calendar of races in northwestern Istria
We offer runners of all ages and fitness levels well-organized races throughout the year in northwestern Istria which have become extremely popular in a short span of time.
- In February, the Brtonigla Adventure Trek (Ultra 50-55 km, mountain 25 km and Fun and Run 10-12 km categories) – a combination of orientation and trail running in the picturesque hills of Brtonigla and the surrounding area
- In April, 100 miles of Istria (100 miles, 108 km, 69 km and 42 km) – the biggest trail race in Croatia, starting in Labin and finishing in Umag, listed in the Ultra-Trail World Tour (UTWT)
- In June, Istralandia Run & Slide (5 km) – a fun race through and around the Istralandia Aquapark that ends with an attractive ride down a six-lane water slide
- in June, the Umag Night Run (5 and 10km) – a seaside night race with start and finish line at Stella Maris Resort and a great side programme
- In September, the Istrian Wine Run (3x7 km relay race, 21 km and 42 km) – a race that combines running through the vineyards of northwestern Istria, wine tasting, lots of fun and a masquerade
- In October, the Novigrad Cittanova Run (6 km, 10+11 km relay race and 21 km) – a race along the seaside promenade and the picturesque town of Novigrad
- In December, the Ho Ho Ho! Run (5 km and 10 km) – a Christmas charity race with Santa hats along the seaside promenade of Umag
A programme for all runners
Aside from the many races and challenging routes, all runners visiting northwestern Istria are also welcome to participate in the Run & Retreat powered by Decathlon programme . This specially designed programme includes expert instructors, daily seaside runs, yoga and pilates with a beautiful view of the sea, learning proper breathing techniques and proper posture, nutritional advice and tips for your recreational wardrobe. The programme also includes relaxing massages and the wellness facilities of the Sol Umag Hotel.