Thanks to their convenient location, an enjoyable climate, excellent sports and accommodation facilities, sports tradition and organization, Umag and Novigrad proudly welcome many international clubs and national teams choosing the 2 towns for their football trainings and multi-day camps.
Here is a list of some of the football teams that have trained and played in northwestern Istria:
1) National football teams
- Croatian national football team (women's categories, U15, U16 , U17, U19 and U21)
- Portugal national football team (category U19)
- Belgium national football team (categories U17 and U19)
- Ukraine national football team (category U17)
- Estonia national football team (category U19)
- Azerbaijan national football team (category U17)
2) European top football clubs
- Manchester City FC – U21, U19 and U18 (England)
- Bologna FC (Italy)
- Kecskeméti TE, Puskás Akadémia FC, Gyirmót SE, Budapest Honvéd FC (Hungary)
- NK Celje, NK Domžale, NK Olimpija Ljubljana, NK Zavrč, ND Gorica and NK Maribor (Slovenia)
- SK Sturm Graz (Austria)
- BSC Young Boys (Switzerland)
- CFR Cluj (Romania)
- FK Budućnost Podgorica (Montenegro)
- FK Borac Banja Luka (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- FK Novi Pazar (Serbia)
3) Croatian football clubs
- NK Dinamo Zagreb, NK Hajduk Split, NK Rijeka, NK Osijek, NK Karlovac, NK Cibalia Vinkovci, NK Croatia Sesvete, NK Istra 1961, NK Inter Zaprešić, NK Slaven Belupo, NK Pomorac…
...and many other European teams.
Davor Šuker, President of the Croatian Football Federation, best described the experience of playing in northwestern Istria:
"The Croatian Football Federation has been taking its younger generations to train and play in tournaments in Umag for years. The main reasons are the high quality facilities, the climate and the region itself and, above all, the top quality service and sporting spirit making Umag a well known destination. As its amenities keep increasing and improving every year, we are certain that we will keep coming to Umag."
Get more information about football in northwestern Istria in the latest brochure Northwestern Istria. New World of Football.